Refunding an Order
Hopefully you will never need to refund a customer, but the chances are that you probably will have to at some point during your online adventure. At some point a parcel may get lost, damaged, stolen or you might even sell a product that you have ran out of stock with. So, you will need to know how to refund that customer. Here's how you do that.
This is a pre-made guide so please ignore the dollar signs. The guide is exactly the same for UK orders.
Locate the Order
- Log into your Shopify account.
- Using the menu on the left hand side of your screen, select 'Orders'/
- Select the order that you need to refund.
Refunding a specific order
- Now that you have selected the order that you would like to refund, the detailed order page will load.
- Select the button titled 'Refund items' located at the top of the page.
- Now that you have clicked 'refund items' another page will appear titled 'Refund items'
- Select the products that you would like to refund the customer for by using the quantity box.
- If you only want to refund the customer for one item, make sure you only select this quantity box.
- If you want to refund your customer for all of the products, make sure you select every quantity box.
Restocking an item whilst in the refund process
- The restock option is only available if you are tracking the products inventory.
- Items are automatically set to restock when you refund a customer.
- If your customer has returned the item and it can be added back into your stock then you can leave the box 'restock item' ticked.
- If the item has been damaged or lost then make sure you untick the box titled 'Restock item'.
- If you charge for shipping and would like to refund your customer for the shipping fee then make sure you enter the correct amount.
- If you didn't charge for shipping this option does not appear.
Reason for Refund
- You will have the option to write a reason for the refund so that you can refer back to it in the future.
- This only appears in the Shopify admin, so your customer will not be able to see it.
Sending your customer a notification
- If you would like your customer to receive a notification once you have completed the refund process then make sure you tick the box titled 'Send a notification to the customer' located underneath the 'Refund' button.
Refunding your customer
- As you proceed though these different options the refund amount will update accordingly.
- If the amount is incorrect and you need to adjust this, you can do so by entering the correct amount in the text box.
- Please note that the refund amount cannot be higher than the customers original payment.
- When you are ready. Click 'Refund' to refund the customer.
- Once you have clicked 'Refund' you will automatically be sent to the next page where you can view the details of the refund.
- You have now refunded your customer.
Refund processing time
- It is important to note that a refund can take anywhere between 5-10 days to enter your customers bank account. Please inform them of this when you discuss their refund.
- For more information on how to refund and cancel an order, please click this link